Saturday, May 12, 2012

30 Things I Didn’t Know When I Was 20

Today, I turn 30.  And I’ve been looking at old pictures and thinking about what it was like to turn 20 and be 20 and it made me think of how far I’ve come and how much I’ve learned.  So I put together a list of all of the things I didn’t know when I was 20 that I know now.

30. When to stop drinking.  Sometimes a lady needs to recognize when she has had too much.
29.  Less is also better when it comes to make up.
28. The choices you make effect your future.
27. There is nothing wrong with having a nice purse.
26. The color pink is the best.  No need to rebel against it just for the sake of rebellion.
25. How to make a baby when you are a lesbian.
24. How to make that baby smile and laugh.
23. That it is possible to make friends with people you didn’t go to high school with.
22. That the Smashing Pumpkins would not be my favorite band forever.
21.  That not every Tori Amos and Ani Difranco album would be genius.
20. How delicious sushi can be.
19. How wonderful it is to be married to a beautiful woman who loves you very much.
18. That 30 wouldn’t feel old and super grown up.
17. That my family would be the most important thing to me someday.
16. That I’d ever want to go back to Tulsa.
15.  Somehow when I was younger I always thought that I’d eventually figure out how to wear high heels.  I guess not.
14. Cottage cheese is good, but not as good as goat cheese.
13. That I’d ever go back to my original hair color.  I love not having to worry about coloring my hair.
12. That I’d still be painting stick people.
11. My younger brother is happily married to his high school sweetheart.  I never would have seen that coming at 20.
10. How much I’d love being a stay at home mom.
9. That my psychology degree was a waste of time.
8. My bedroom is still more often than not a mess.  I really thought I’d grow out of that someday.  Fingers crossed that it could still happen.
7. When I was 20 I figured I’d end up with at least one or two tattoos.  Really glad I didn’t.  I prefer my clean, classic look that never goes out of style.
6.  That I’d want to be a teacher just like my mom.
5. That someday it’d be hard to sleep in past 10, even when I’m super tired.
4. How tired having a newborn in the house can really make you.
3. That you don’t have to be a bitch to get what you want.
2. That one day I wouldn’t be so shy.
1. That I’d have a son who I’d love more than words can say.

Hopefully by 40 I will have learned a lot more!
-Liz

5 comments:

  1. I love this post. Crazy how much a decade can teach and change you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, you outdid yourself with this post! Love it and Love you!!

    Happy Birthday <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post :) I have a lot to learn in the next few years i think!

    ReplyDelete